Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Prosthetic Casting

Brady had his first prosthetic casting yesterday and handled it like a trooper. After waiting almost 3 hours in the waiting room, he had every right to be a crabby baby. To be honest, we were starting to be crabby parents, but were then quickly reminded how lucky we are to be patients at this awesome hospital. Some of the other families in the waiting room had driven as far as 12 hours for their appointments. We had lots of opportunities to take pictures of the big day-

Playing in the waiting room

Prosthetic Casting
This process consisted of casting his shoulder and short arm so they can create a sleeve for his passive prosthetic. I was amazed he didn't cry because the casting material was wet and sticky. His pacifier served as a great distraction. We go back in 3 weeks for the fitting. We were lucky enough to be introduced to a little girl named Lilly who has the same limb deficiency as Brady. She is 4 and was happy to show us how her prosthetic works. Her mom mentioned they take her picture with the Shriner's statue every time they visit as a reminder of how she's grown. We thought that was a great idea....


I can not stress enough what a great organization this is. There are so many children in need of prosthetics and Shriner's provides them with great love and care.
If you are interested in learning more about Shriner's or would like to make a donation you can follow the link below.

5 comments:

  1. I'm here via FatJ...LOVE it that they are taking care of him. He's a CUTIE :)

    And he could teach my nine month old a thing or two about sleeping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Brady! You are such a little man standing up next to that statue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm here via FatJ too. Brady is so adorable and can he quit smiling so much:) I bet they just eat him up at Shriner's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here via FatJ! I have to say you have an amazing story and an ADORABLE little guy. Good luck and I am hoping that the prosthetics all go well. I will be secretly reading to keep up with you and your cute little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More love from FatJ! You have such an adorable little boy! I love all of the pictures and am so happy that he is well on his way to being all boy - with one arm or two. I too will be checking in to see how things are going, and am so happy that you have the resource of the Shriner's Hospital.

    ReplyDelete