Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Brady and I had our first heart to heart talk about his arm last night. He understood so much more than I ever imagined a 33 month old could.


He was making fingerprints on the countertop with his greasy hand and said "Look Mom, paw prints".

Me: "Do you have hands or paws?" B: "Hand-I only have one hand". I no have other hand."

Me: "That's right, but you have a helper arm, don't you?"

B:"When I get big I get other hand."

Me: "No Honey, you will never have another hand like Mommy. You are special and don't need another hand. You are perfect and strong just the way you are."

B: " Please."

Me: "I know it's hard Buddy and I'm sorry. Someday you will learn to use your helper arm to do all kinds of things. That's why you have beeen meeting those nice ladies at school."

It pains me that at such a young age he is already so aware of his differences. We have been meeting with Occupational Therapists to evaluate where he is in comparison to his age group and to help him with adaptive tools. He is resisting a bit now, but our hope is that he will come around and start to utilize the grapsing tool his arm provides.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Katie, this brought tears to my eyes. It is amazing to think he's already aware of so much. Love ya, dude!

    ReplyDelete